Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ring in the new - It's my Birthday!!!


I love having my birthday at the beginning of the year because all my intentions for the coming year coincide with my new life year. And I think that no year will make this more evident than this year. Because my overall intention for this year is to make that drastic change…to take my life back…to take my power back.
As I was just saying to my husband, we are pretty much at rock bottom now, so there really is only one way to go...UP!
Many things already began in the previous year, taking me in that direction, so all I need do is remain consistent and follow the direction.

Shortly after returning from my sister’s funeral in Nigeria early last year, I made up my mind to stop straightening my hair. I had not yet been officially diagnosed with Psoriasis, but it was definitely already there. My scalp was constantly sore and flaky and whenever I got my perm retouched my scalp got badly burned and the burns were getting worse and taking longer to heal with every perm. It had to end and I did not retouch my hair and am glad to say that I am now one year and two months natural.
It is much easier than I thought it would be. I just blow dry after washing and then flat iron it to style it. My scalp is being treated for the Psoriasis. It is still dry, but no longer sore and I no longer torture it with harmful chemicals.

As I had mentioned before, I was reassigned to another team at work. At first, I felt really hurt and upset, but as time goes on, I can see that this is the best thing for me. My work had been taking a toll on me. And I did not know how to stop it. I took on more and more and was truly on the verge of breaking down physically and mentally.
With my new position, I am not allowed to take work home unless a specific project warrants it. After 4:30pm, my time is mine. After two years of non-stop working, this is a whole new world for me. It’s been three weeks and I barely know what to do with myself. I wake up on weekend mornings and ponder “what should I do now?”
This is great for me, because not only am I already feeling more relaxed, but I can actually start doing things for me again. I will work out again, I will read again and look-a-here…I am writing again J

So for starters, here are a couple of goals I have set for myself for this New Year:
1)  Take control of my eating and working out habits again. Aim to reach some ideal weight by the end of the year. Tomorrow I shall weigh myself for my accurate “before” and then we shall go from there. Will report in tomorrow.
2)  Finish writing the novel I started last year. In the middle of the year, it got so busy, I could not keep up. I could not find nor create any time to even think of what to write talk less of actually writing it.

I think these are two great goals to start out with, so I will leave it at that for now. There are more in store, but I will add them and explain them fully as I write on.

In the meantime, it’s been an awesome birthday for me today. My kids made me the cutest cards and stuck them up on the wall by the front door so that I would see them as soon as I walked in when I came home from the movie my husband treated me to. Which, by the way, was an awesome piece of work.
 “Silver Linings Playbook” – Totally Worth Seeing!!! I am loving Bradley Cooper right now. But not just him, it was an amazing ensemble. And Jennifer Lawrence just won the SAG award for her part in this film tonight.
Do you suppose it is just a coincidence that the SAGs were on my birthday this year? 
Or is it a sign? J

No comments:

Post a Comment